Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I send all child support and spousal support (maintenance) to the KPC?

No. If the order directs you to send the support payments directly to another state, please send payments as directed. If you are uncertain where to send payments for a Kansas support order, please call the KPC during ordinary business hours for help.

Payments that are not child support or spousal support (maintenance) should not be sent to the KPC.

What if a business check bounces or an electronic payment is reversed?

If your check is returned for any reason, a $30.00 non-sufficient fund charge will be assessed.

All future support payments must be made by money order, bank draft or cashier's check if your check is returned for any reason or your electronic payment using KPCpay is reversed.

If the KPC has already disbursed the support payment and suffers a loss, you are required to replace the support payment immediately. Call KPC Customer Service for instructions about how and where to send the replace payment. Do not send it to the address for normal support payments—if you do, it will be treated as a new support payment not applied to your debt to the KPC.

If you are subject to the Kansas Income Withholding Act and your remittance is invalid for any reason, you may also be required to pay sanctions under K.S.A. 23-4,108.

What is the maximum % the employer can withhold?

Beginning July 1, 2013, important changes to Kansas law regarding income withholding orders for child support became effective. As of that date, income withholding for child support may not exceed 50% of an employee’s disposable income. This limit applies both to regular pay and lump sum payments.

For more information about these and other changes, please click the following link:

Where do I find the full court order number on the income withholding order?

The standard income withholding form is Form OMB-0970-0154, entitled “Order/Notice to Withholding Income for Child Support.” This form was developed by the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement for use in all states.

Near the end of the section entitled “Remittance instructions,” there is a blank labeled “Remittance Identifier” which should state the full court order number. The Remittance Identifier is often the same as the “Order Identifier” number at the top of the first page, but if they are different, use the “Remittance Identifier” number. Ignore the “Case Identifier” and Document Tracking Identifier” numbers—they are intended for other purposes.

Click here to see an example of this income withholding form.

  • If the withholding order is not formatted like the federal form, the front page will have a heading that shows the full court order number in the upper right. If the county identifier (county code) has been omitted, look for the county name in the very top line of the heading. Click here to see examples of Kansas court order numbers.
  • If you still cannot find the full court order number, contact the attorney or office who sent you the order.
Who do I contact for information or assistance about the support order I am following?

The KPC cannot answer questions about enforcement or interpret the requirements of the order for you—those questions must be directed to the office or attorney who sent the order to you, or to your own legal counsel. The documents you received usually have contact information printed on them. You may also click here for useful contacts.

return to top of page

Print this page

Kansas Payment Center

P.O. Box 758599 Topeka, KS 66675-8599

Phone: 877-572-5722

The Kansas Payment Center is funded by the Kansas Department for Children and Families

Site Release v3.13